CELTA course topics
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context.
- Language analysis and awareness.
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- Planning and resources for different contexts.
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
You will cover these topics through attending seminars, observing qualified teachers, participating in teaching practice and writing four assignments.
You will teach for a total of six hours, working with classes at two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the six hours.
What is Teaching Practice?
Trainees have to teach a total of six hours with classes of students at two different levels. All six hours of teaching are assessed and final assessment is based upon the trainees overall achievement at the end of the six hours.
You will complete four written assignments that focus on:
- Analysing and responding to learner needs.
- Analysing language for teaching purposes.
- Teaching language skills.
- Reflecting on classroom teaching.
The specific tasks are set by the training centre and you will receive support in completing them from the tutors.